You can’t get luckier to munch on one of the greatest recipes of the award-winning chef -Gordon Ramsay. Here comes the most awaited "Gordon’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken". A perfect combination of crispy, crunchy, succulent chicken and tangy tenderization from buttermilk served with Sweet Pickled Celery. This is no doubt one of the perfected recipes of Gordon and your family will surely thank you for such a delight. It is that super easy to be made by anyone with regularly available ingredients.
So let me get started to make "Gordon’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken" which will make this your favorite chicken dish of the lifetime.
Gordon's Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Chicken thighs- 4 pieces any size
- Chicken drumsticks- 4 pieces any size
- Buttermilk- 500 ml
- Oil for Deep Frying-sunflower or groundnut oil
- Plain flour- 300 gm
- Smoked paprika-1-2 Tsp
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Marination is the heart of this dish. To marinate place the chicken in a bowl, add the buttermilk so the chicken is completely coated with it. Sprinkle required quantity of salt and mix well. Put this to refrigerate overnight. Do not forget to cover the bowl with cling film. The buttermilk with gives a soft tangy tenderness to the chicken as this is most important ever to a number of people who are well known.
- Once you are ready to cook, take the marinated chicken out of the refrigerator and allow it to get back to room temperature. Now its time for the coating.
- Coating- For that, in a bowl put the flour spread across the container. For seasoning add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, required salt, a pinch of pepper and garlic powder. Run your fingers through the mix and get the perfect coating ready. This spicy mix gives a nice texture to the chicken.
- Take the chicken pieces one by one from the marination bowl, shake off the excess buttermilk and lay the chicken to the Coating. Roll the chicken with your hands to get it covered completely with the coating. If you like your chicken to be more crispy, repeat the process by dipping the chicken once again in buttermilk and coat it again with seasoned flour. It may look a little scrappy but it will blister beautifully when it hits the oil to give a perfect look with a crunch.
Click here to learn: How To Keep Fried Chicken Crispy
- We are ready to fry. Make sure the oil is hot up to 325F. Drop the first chicken pieces carefully into the oil. Always keep a gap of 5 sec before dropping each of the pieces of chicken so that the breading sets into the oil and they don’t stick to each other.
- While the chicken is getting fried, the temperature for few minutes will fall a bit as the chicken is cold and the temperature will get back once the chicken settles down in the oil.
- Gently turn the pan which will give a slight movement to the chicken pieces. This will make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan. Turn the pieces constantly up to 25-30 minutes, until its evenly fried and turns golden.
- Now its time to take out the chicken. Drain the excess oil and lay them on a kitchen paper.
- To get it even crispier and deeply moist inside, allow it to cook even further in the oven. Sprinkle the chicken pieces with some salt and put it into the oven for 6-7 minutes.
Next is another very quick and easy recipe of Sweet Pickled Celery. Again a great recipe from Gordon. The combo of Spice, Sweet and Sour. Let's get started.
Related Recipe: Chicken Injection Recipe - 3 Quick & Easy Recipes
Sweet Pickled Celery
- Celery - 1Bunch
- Water - 1Cup
- Sugar - 1Cup
- Peppercorn -1Teaspoon
- Mustard seeds- 1Teaspoon
- Cloves – teaspoons
- Salt – teaspoons
- White wine vinegar - 6 Tablespoons
- Peel away each stalk of celery from a bunch. Wash them and cut into nice inch-long diagonal shape to make it look more attractive. Put them into a jar.
- Now its time to make the syrup, for that take 1 part water and 1 part sugar. Add some peppercorn, generous amount of mustard seeds, some cloves, the pinch of salt and white wine vinegar.
- In order to get it pickled, the syrup needs to be boiled. While it boils it will infuse all the spices, bring them together and also helps to cook celery.
- Turn off the gas. Now pour the syrup into the jar and let it cook down. Keep the jar lid open to cool down and get the celery pickled.
- Perfect combo is ready to be served!
- Some expert tips to make this dish a hit
- Marinate the chicken well, preferably over right so it soaks the buttermilk and becomes succulent.
- Provide a double coating of buttermilk and seasoned flour to the chicken to get the extra crisp layer.
- The temperature to start frying the chicken should be 325F but it drops up to 300F after the chicken goes into it. But it comes back and should hold the earlier temperature until cooked for 25-30 minutes.
- Cooked an additional 6-7 minutes in Oven after deep frying to get it more moist and juicy internally and crunchy externally.
- To get the celery cook and pickled perfectly, boil enough the liquid mixture of sugar, peppercorns, mustard seeds, cloves, and white wine vinegar.
- Wait for a while to serve the pickle as it turns too good when it cools down a bitter releasing all the favors to the celery.
This is a perfect dish to be celebrated with your family, friends and cherishes the moment forever. Gordon’s Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Sweet Pickled Celery is a killer combo for no doubt. So what are you all waiting for? Just follow the simple instructions, cook the dish of your life and get ready to Feast.